RIP: With the Saudi government finally acknowledging that Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate, any faint hope that he may be found alive has been extinguished
By Kevin Sullivan, Loveday Morris and Tamer El-Ghobashy
In the latest of a series of shifting versions of what happened to Jamal Khashoggi, a journalist and former regime insider who turned against the royal family, the Saudi government has released a new account of the death, finally acknowledging that he did not leave the embassy alive, as Turkish officials and his friends and family have maintained all along
The Saudi government acknowledged on Saturday that journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, saying he died during a fist fight, but the new account may do little to ease international demands for the kingdom to be held accountable.
The announcement, which came in a tweet from the Saudi Foreign Ministry, said that an initial investigation by the government’s general prosecutor found that the Saudi journalist had been in discussions with people inside the consulate when a quarrel broke out and escalated to a fatal fist fight.
The Saudi government said it fired five top officials and arrested 18 other Saudis as a result of the initial investigation. Those fired included Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s adviser Saud al-Qahtani and deputy intelligence chief Maj Gen Ahmed al-Assiri.
The announcement marks the first time that Saudi officials have acknowledged that Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate. Ever since he disappeared on October 2 while visiting the mission, Saudi officials have repeatedly said that he left the consulate alive and that they had no information on his whereabouts or fate. He had gone to the consulate to obtain a document he needed for his upcoming marriage while his fiancé waited outside.
The Saudi statement comes as the kingdom is facing unprecedented political and economic pressure to disclose what happened to Khashoggi, a critic of the government and a contributing columnist to The Washington Post. But it is unclear whether the Saudi explanation — which clashes with details provided by Turkish investigators and makes no mention of the crown prince — will be enough to satisfy foreign leaders, global business executives and US lawmakers pressing for the perpetrators to be brought to justice.
Turkish investigators had concluded days ago that Khashoggi was killed and dismembered by a Saudi team dispatched to Istanbul. US officials have said that Turkey has audio and video recordings providing evidence that the journalist was interrogated and killed inside the consulate and his body cut into several pieces.
CIA officials have listened to an audio recording that Turkish officials say proves the journalist was killed and dismembered by the Saudi team, according to people familiar with the matter. If verified, the recording would make it difficult for the White House to accept the Saudi version that Khashoggi’s death was effectively an accident.
Nor has Khashoggi’s body been recovered, and the Saudi statement did not address what happened to it.
President Trump said the arrests were a “great first step” but that he wanted to talk further to the Saudis about the investigation. He added that if Congress wanted to press for sanctions against the Saudis because of the killing, he would prefer they didn’t affect arms sales.
According to a list confirmed by Turkish officials, 15 Saudis flew to Istanbul on the morning of October 2, participated in an operation that left Khashoggi dead and then quickly left the country. At least 12 members of that team are connected to Saudi security services, and several have links to Mohammed himself, according to a review of passport records, social media, local media reports and other material.
Those personal connections and US intelligence intercepts of Saudi officials discussing a plan to lure Khashoggi home have contributed to a growing suspicion that the crown prince was personally linked to the incident. But the Saudi statement did not implicate him in the killing.
The preliminary investigation conducted by the prosecutor found that the “suspects” travelled to Istanbul to meet with Khashoggi, as he had expressed an interest in returning to Saudi Arabia, the official news agency said. Discussions that took place “developed in a negative way” and “led to a fight and a quarrel between some of them and the citizen,” it said. “The brawl aggravated to lead to his death and their attempt to conceal and cover what happened,” it said.
Investigations are continuing with the 18 detainees, it said, without naming them.
Qahtani has been one of Mohammed’s closest advisers, serving as a strategist and enforcer, and had created a “blacklist” of online critics of Saudi Arabia. His social media presence has made him among Saudi Arabia’s loudest and most visible officials in the Arab world.
In a tweet shortly after the Saudi announcement, Qahtani wrote to his 1.3 million followers that he was indebted to the king and crown prince, whom he called his “masters.”
“I will forever be a loyal servant to this country and this nation shall always stand tall,” he wrote.
Qahtani had made overtures to Khashoggi and tried to persuade him to return to Saudi Arabia this summer, when U.S. intelligence officials said there was an attempt to lure him back to the kingdom to detain him.
“Do you think I can act by myself without taking orders/guidance?” Qahtani said last year in a tweet that is being widely shared now after the announcement of his firing. “I am an employee and a trustworthy executive to the orders of the king and the crown prince.”
Assiri, who has also been close to the crown prince, served for two years as the public face of Saudi Arabia’s military intervention in the war in Yemen before his intelligence posting. Assiri, who speaks fluent French and English, held regular news briefings on the state of the battle that were unusual for the Middle East and appeared designed to promote the professionalism of the Saudi war effort.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders issued a statement acknowledging the Saudi announcement that the investigation was progressing and that action had been taken against suspects.
Trump says Khashoggi death ‘unacceptable,’ calls Saudi arrests in killing ‘great first step’
Other reaction in Washington was more negative.
“To say that I am sceptical of the new Saudi narrative about Mr. Khashoggi is an understatement,” Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) said in a Twitter post. “First we were told Mr Khashoggi supposedly left the consulate and there was blanket denial of any Saudi involvement. Now, a fight breaks out and he’s killed in the consulate, all without knowledge of Crown Prince.”
Rep Adam B Schiff (Calif), the ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, was also dismissive of the Saudi account.
“The announcement that Jamal Khashoggi was killed while brawling with a team of more than a dozen dispatched from Saudi Arabia is not credible,” he said. “If Khashoggi was fighting inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, he was fighting for his life with people sent to capture or kill him.”
A senior US official said the Saudi explanation raised more questions than it answered about Mohammed’s knowledge of the incident. The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to give a frank assessment, noted that Assiri and Qahtani are among Mohammed’s closest aides and said they could not have acted without orders from him.
“It’s impossible to blame them for anything without MBS having a direct role,” the official said, using Mohammed’s initials.
The official Saudi statement said King Salman had ordered the creation of a commission to review and “modernize” the kingdom’s intelligence operations and report back within a month. The king tapped the crown prince to chair the ministerial commission, which will also include the interior minister, foreign minister, heads of general intelligence and state security, and others.
Robert Lacey, a British historian and author who has written extensively about the Saudi royal family, said the decision to place Mohammed in charge of the official review of the Saudi intelligence apparatus would create problems.
“The West will just not accept the idea that the dossier for investigating this has been given to the man who, in the eyes of the world, is the chief suspect,” Lacey said. He added that the government’s response would deepen the crown prince’s credibility problems and possibly affect his chances of succeeding his father as king.
“The crown prince has got a big credibility problem now, and for decades to come,” Lacey said. “Fairly or not, I cannot see how any democratic leader in the West will want to be photographed shaking hands with this man.”
The government announcement came late at night in Riyadh, the Saudi capital. Twitter was immediately filled with mixed reaction, much under the hashtag “jamal is dead.” Many tweeters praised the kingdom’s action, including one who wrote that “Saudi transparency showed no one is above the law.”
Courtesy: Washington Examiner