The season of Lent has come to an end and Goa is all set to celebrate the death (crucifixion) and re-birth (resurrection) of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday. It’s one of the world’s most enduring and educative religious stories from Christian history when Christians the world over observe austerities like fasting with prayers throughout the Holy Week which culminates with Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Easter Sunday is rejoicing time when a variety of festive eggs are distributed as a symbol of regeneration of faith. The traditional bakery outlets of Goa have put out hot cross buns and a variety of Easter eggs with all the final Holy Week motifs designed into Easter goodies. This year it is said Easter is a little delayed because it always falls on the first full moon after the spring equinox. Whatever you do be sure to remember the timeless story of Jesus Christ and make it a fruitful Easter…and pray for ache din for all!
REST & RECREATION
EASTER excitement/brunches over the weekend:
• Easter Egg Hunt out at the Alban Couto Community Library, Aldona, on Sunday, April 21, 5pm to 6pm. Details: 9823222665
• Revel in the spirit of Easter out at the open scenic location of south Goa’s Taj Exotica Resort & Spa on Sunday, April 21, Easter brunch is on from 12.30 onwards and Easter dinner from 7.30pm onwards. Details: 6683333
• Catch the Easter joy at Vivanta by Taj, Panaji, where Easter goodness is in plenty at Latitude and an all-day dinner on Sunday, April 21, brunch from 12.30pm onwards. Easter goodies available from 10am to 10pm. Details: 6633636
• Hearty brunch at the Waterfront Terrace & Bar at Goa Marriott Resort & Spa, live band, cocktails, games and a spread of goodies to feast like no other on Sunday, April 21. Don’t forget to check out the Easter goodies at the GBC cafeteria where there are breads, cakes, candies, cookies and all manner of sweet and savory temptations. Details: 246333/9967763776
• Fortune Miramar in Panaji is offering an Easter 4-course set menu on Sunday, April 21. Menu lists vegetarian/non-vegetarian soup, appetizer, main course, and dessert…options of Moroccan chicken & lentil soup/Shorba-e-barkush; Malvani seafood platter/Habanero chicken/cheese sambusec; chili sambal marinated pan-seared paneer with chipotle sauce/peri peri grilled prawns with bacon jalapeno mash, heritage tossed vegetables/slow cooked pork ribs served with mint mashed potatoes, grilled tomato and fresh peppercorn sauce. Dessert: Zuccotto classic Tuscan dessert with ricotta and nuts or chocolate Easter eggs and cheesecake. Don’t forget to take in the hotel’s fresh new patisserie counter worth exploring. Details: Call 0832 6637300.
Goa Tourism’s Spirit of Goa Festival: It’s caju season and Goa’s celebrated caju urack and feni festival has been scheduled from April 26 to 28, more details next week.
SALES & MARKETS
Literati Summer Book Sale: Avail of a 20% discount on all new books and second hand books for Rs50 each. Also buy costume jewellery. Venue: Literati Bookshop & Café, Gauravaddo, Calangute. Date: On going till April 22 (closed Sunday, April 21). Time: 10am to 6.30pm
Giant Dolls House: In a collaborative installation display find exhibitions and storytelling sessions curated by Catja de Haas of Giants Dolls House Project, also talks by photographer David de Souza, architect Hyacinth Pinto, social entrepreneur Ricardo Rebello. Venue: Museum of Goa, Pilerne Industrial Estate, Pilerne. Date: Ongoing from April 20 (inauguration at 7pm). Details: email@example.com or call 7722089666